Tanning while Pregnant…. Is it safe?
Wanting to achieve that golden glow whilst your pregnant can be a lot harder taking into consideration what’s best for your bub and won’t cause any harm. First and foremost, you shouldn’t tan by sun baking or in a tanning bed as that increases chances of cancer and melanoma. But what about a spray or self-tan?
Firstly, we love spray tans because there super quick and easy! However, one concern with spray tanning is DHA. The chemical that makes you tanned is called DHA (dihydroxyacetone) which causes a chemical reaction with the amino acids in the top layer or your skin resulting in a glow. The concern with spray tans is to do with the fumes that can be inhaled by mum and their unknown effect on bub. However, here at Sunescape we use a natural form of DHA and the alcohol in our original formula is not toxic like other spray tans therefore is safe! If you’re unsure, it’s always best to double-check with your doctor and we recommend covering your mouth, nose and eyes when applying to prevent inhaling the products.
Secondly, self-tanning is your at-home option! It is typically only the top layer of the skin that’s affected by DHA, and shouldn't have any harmful effects while pregnant as you are not breathing it in. Sunescape’s Self-Tanning Mousse contains hydrating and moisturising ingredients to nourish your skin including:
- Coconut oil - Coconut Oil is loved for it's believed ability to soften the skin.
- Kiwi seed oil - Kiwi Seed Oil is one of the richest sources of essential fatty acids
- Green Tea - A potent antioxidant rich in polyphenols. Antioxidants help in alleviating dry
- Avocado Oil - Avocado Oil may help to enrich protein and vitamin content
- Aloe Vera - Aloe vera extract is renowned for its moisturising effect
- Macadamia Seed Oil – Macadamia Seed oil nourishes the skin leaving it feeling soft and silky and can help to regenerate damage from scarring or the sun
We also recommend doing a spot test before applying self-tan as hormone levels can fluctuate throughout pregnancy. Additionally, do not apply to the breast area if breastfeeding.
And just remember the tanning solution does not contain any SPF sun protection, so ensure that an approved SPF is worn prior to sun exposure!